KARELA - Momordica charantia Linn. (Cucurbitaceae )
It is a climber has yellow colour flowers and fruits are bitter in taste.
Parts Used : Leaf, fruit, seed
Taste : Bitter
Anthelmintic, tonic, tonic, laxative, alterative, stimulant
To expel intestinal worm, diabetes.
1/2 teaspoon before breakfast and after diner mixed with hot water.
How to Use :
The fruit juice is given for diabetes and to expel intestinal worm.
* English name- bitter gourd
* Hindi name – karela
* Sanskrit name – karvellak
* Gujarati name – kareli
It is found through out India.
According to ayurveda there are two varieties of karela based on the size of the fruit.
1. Badi (large)
2. Choti (small)
Fruit contains ascorbic acid 188mg per 100gm.
Leaves and flowers contains alkaloids named momordicine.
Plant contains a bitter glucoside, resin, aromatic oils, a substance very similar to that of saponin and mucilage. An oil is extracted from seeds that is of reddish brown color (26.5 %)
It is kapha and pitta suppressant.
Due to its properties it is very helpful in cooling the body so as to suppress the skin related problems caused by the excess of pitta.
It also promotes wound healing and also helps in suppressing the burning sensation happening in the body.
Due to its rasa it is very useful in normalizing the digestive tract and also helps in improving peristaltic movements in the body.
Due to its bitter taste it is useful in suppressing the worm infestation. It also helps in curbing infection in the body.
It also helps in regularizing the urinary tract.
It has remarkable properties in maintaining the blood sugar levels in the body.
According to ayurveda it contains
* Gunna (properties) – laghu (light), ruksh (dry)
* Rasa (taste) – katu (pungent) and tickta (bitter)
* Virya (potency) – ushan (hot)
It has no toxic effect when consumed in normal dosage.
* Skin diseases
* Burning sensations
* Loss of appetite
* Menstrual disturbances
* Blood disorders
1. Paste – it is used in application on skin disorders; it is also applied on piles and injuries and wounds.
1. Powder – it is widely used in diabetes. it is also helpful in urine related disorders and also is helpful in digestive troubles. It helps in suppressing the inflammation and respiratory dysfunction. It is also helpful in maintaining the body temperature.