ARJUNA, White Marudah, Terminalia Arjuna - Combretaceae
Part used : Bark
- Rasa (taste) : Astringent, Bitter
- Virya (action) : Cooling
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) : Sweet
- Guna (quality) : Light, Dry
Doshas : Tridoshic. KP-
Tissues : rasa (plasma), rakta (blood), shukra (reproductive)
- Heart tonic, ulcer healing, urinary disorders, vulnerary, stops bleeding, conquers kapha and pitta.
- Hypolipidemic : enhances the elimination of cholesterol by accelerating the turnover of LDL-cholesterol in the liver. Lowers beta-lipoprotein lipids and the recovery of HDL components in hyperlipidemia
- Cardiac stimulant : Strengthens the heart muscles and maintains the heart functioning properly.
- Hypotensive : Due to its hypolipidemic activity and also the diuretic property it acts against hypertension.
- Astringent & Haemostatic.
- Has prostaglandin enhancing and coronary risk modulating properties.
HEART : Angina, congestive heart failure, cardiac arrhythmias, hypertension have all showed signs of improving in human clinical trials.
It reduces inflammation (P) and congestion (K) that can damage the heart.
Used to treat emotional disturbance and " broken heart ". It strengthens the muscles of the heart.
Cardiomyopathy like Myocardial infraction, angina, coronary artery disease, heart failure, hypercholesterolemia, hypertension.
In case of heart attack though it can not act against, like streptokinase or eurokinase, but regular use of it after just recovering from heart attack, reduces the chance of further attack to a great level.
Besides no such Toxicity or side effects has so far be found it can be advocated to use in regular basis for a strong and well functioning heart.
LIVER : Cirrhosis- it improves liver function and inflammation.
SKIN : Useful as an alterative for clearing the skin of pitta inflammations : acne, acne rosacea.
TISSUE : Its ability to coagulate blood is demonstrated in its use in post-trauma healing of scars/operations, repairs fractures.
A paste or tincture applied externally can rapidly hasten healing.
Arjuna can help lower Cholesterol as much as 64% - people taking Arjuna preparation saw their LDL levels plummet by an average of 25.6%.
In animal studies with extremely high blood fats, LDL levels dropped from 493 to 162 ,after 60 days. That's a whopping 64 percent drop.
Plus, HDL cholesterol (the good stuff) actually increased.
Arjuna reduces angina episodes much better than nitroglycerin.
In one study, angina episodes were cut in half by the Arjuna, with none of the nasty side effects. Plus, it can be used as long as you like, without fear it'll stop working.
Arjuna has been shown to help reverse hardening of the arteries.
1 to 6 g per day, according to your physician's advices.
1/2 teaspoon one or twice daily mixed with honey or warm water after meals.
Terminalia Arjuna's bark in powder.