GUGGUL / GUGGULU - Commiphora mukul-Resin (Burseraceae)
Indian bedellium, Indian myrrh,
Part used : Resin
- Rasa (taste) : Bitter, Astringent, Pungent, Sweet
- Virya (action) : Heating
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) : Pungent
- Guna (quality) : Light, Penetrating, Dry
Doshas : VPK-, can aggravate P in excess
Dhatus (Tissues) : All
Srotas (channels) : Circulatory, Digestive, Nervous
Anti-inflammatory, antiplatelet, anticholesterolaemic, astringent, antiseptic, immune stimulant, emmenagogue.
- Sarvadoshahara : alleviates all doshas
- Medhogna : clears fat tissue
- Prameha : anti-diabetic
- Raktashodaka : blood purifier
- Deepaniya : kindles the digestive fire
- Rasayana : Rejuvenative
- Balya : Promotes strength
- Vrishya : Promotes sexual appetite
- Sandhaniya : Bone mender
- Vedanasthapana : Analgesic
- Kanthya / Svarya : Affinity for healing and promoting the voice
- Artavajanana : Promotes menses
- Sukshma : Subtle properties enabling it to enter deeply into the tissues
(Bhavaprakasha, Sarngadhara Samhita, Astanga Hridaya)
It reduces cholesterol (LDL) and prevents accumulation2.
It has a lekhana property that 'scrapes' deposits from the channels, joints and tissues3. Guggulu is a specific herb for obesity and excessive weight. This works via its ability to enhance thyroid function.
Anti-inflammatory activity and detoxifying action. Very good in kapha/vata types of arthritis.
Ischaemic heart disease, Angina: It increase blood flow, reduces blood clots, clears atherosclerosis.
Used to clear endometriosis, PCOS, clots. All accumulations and ama in the apanakshetra of the lower abdomen. It regulates the cycle.
Used for skin inflammations. Clinical trials have proven efficacy in acne as opposed to antibiotic treatment5. Also benefits general inflammations of the mucus membranes throughout the body- mouth ulcers, lung infections. It helps to regenerate tissue granulation and enhance healing-clears tumours, dead tissue and reduces lipids and lipomas.
Its ability to increase white blood cell count helps clear infections.
As a resin Guggul relates with raktadhatu- the blood system- and this is responsible for healing deep seated wounds it is traditionally used for healing fractures.
Traditionally valued in all growths, accumulations, cancers (granthi).
- The purification (shodhana) process is mentioned in Bharat Bhaishajya Ratnakar where the Guggulu is purified by boiling it in Triphala, milk, cow’s urine, Vasaka or Vitex nirgundi and Turmeric and removing the ‘scum’ that comes to the surface. It is then fried in ghee, dried and ground to become shuddhaa guggulu.
· Therapeutically a fresh (nava guggulu) and and old (purana guggulu) are used- the old is a specific remedy in cancers.
· It is a renowned yogavahi - it carries other substances with it deep into the tissues.
· Commonly used in combination with other herbs in the 'guggul' formulas: triphala guggul, gokshuradi guggul, kanchanar guggul.
· It is one of the best herbs for vata conditions- arthritis, pain, gyaenacological, back, urinary, chest.
· Vata is regulated by its sweet flavour.
· Pitta is alleviated by its astringent taste.
· Kapha is reduced by its bitter, astringent and pungent tastes.
Acute kidney infections, excessive uterine bleeding.
Not in pregnancy or during breast-feeding.
- 2 capsules morning and evening
While using Guggulu, pitta aggravating lifestyle (sour foods, alcohol, anger and excessive sunlight and sexual activity) should be avoided.
+ Frankincense, Turmeric, Fenugreek for cholesterol and arthritis.
+ Guduchi, Neem, Turmeric, Triphala in acne
+ Arjuna, Punarnava, Pushkaramool for heart conditions.
+ Safflower, Mustaka, Shatavari for menstrual difficulties.
+ Guduchi, Gokshura and Ginger in gout and back pain.
+ Haritaki, Trikatu, Triphala, Turmeric for mending bones.
Guggulipid is reported to reduce the effect of antihypertensives such as propanolol and diltiazem and so medication should be adjusted accordingly. Caution with hypoglycaemic medication.
Commiphora mukul purified.