BHRINGARAJA - Bhangra, Maka, Kaikeshi, Karippan, Eclipta alba – Folium (Compositae)
Bhringaraja oil is a famous hair tonic for maintaining dark hair and reversing baldness.
It is often translated as ‘King of the Hair’, but literally means ‘bee ruler’.
It is decocted in coconut oil and as this is a ‘cooling’ oil it is used externally for ‘hot’ and inflammatory head problems such as headaches, sinusitis and ear infections.
The herb also benefits heat problems.
- Rasa (taste) : Bitter, pungent, sweet
- Virya (action) : Cooling
- Vipaka (post-digestive effect) : Pungent
- Guna (quality) : Dry, light
Dosha : Balances all 3 doshas; VPK=, mainly PV-, Pitta rasayana
Dhatu (tissue) : Plasma, blood, bone, nerve, reproductive
Srota (channel) :Circulatory, nervous, digestive, respiratory, urinary, reproductive
Alterative, anti-inflammatory, haemostatic, antipyretic, vulnerary, tonic, cholagogue, hepatoprotective
Rejuvenative, Promotes the intellect, Benefits hair and teeth, Benefits itching, Destroys skin diseases, Purifies the blood, Stops bleeding, Destroys ama, Destroys poisons in the body, Benefits the eyes, Destroys worms, Benefits the liver, Reduces anaemia
HEAD : Premature greying of hair, alopecia and early baldness are often classified as a pitta imbalance caused by pitta literally ‘burning’ the hair follicle.
Eclipta clears pitta and especially from the head.
It also benefits loose teeth, hearing problems, dizziness, vertigo (vata problems in the head). It is restorative to asthidhatu (bone) tissue imbalances.
It tonifies vata and therefore by strengthening, it reduces excess vata.
Bhringaraja prepared oil also dissolves obstructions in the sinuses, nose, ears and head; use as nose and ear drops.
LIVER : Cirrhosis, hepatitis; it clears ranjaka pitta from its site and protects the liver. It increases bile flow and helps with the appetite. The blood is treated via its beneficial effect on liver function. It actually helps to build blood, strengthen rakta dhatu and reduce anemia.
Combined with a capillary strengthening action this can prevent high blood pressure caused by pitta and vata. It also benefits the eyes and treats conjunctivitis, styes and redness.
NERVES : Insomnia and mental agitation from high pitta and vata.
It calms stress and reduces tension by tonifying majja dhatu. Bhringaraja increases blood and nourishes the brain.
SKIN : Bhringaraja treats skin conditions via the nervous system and the liver helping to allay itching and inflammation; urticaria, eczema and ringworm caused by aggravations of the rasa and rakta dhatu are treated.
It also helps to re-colour the skin after depigmentation.
LUNGS : Its pungency can help alleviate mucus and treat asthma and bronchitis.
REPRODUCTION : Its rasayana properties rejuvenate deficiencies in shukra dhatu, helping to build sperm quality and quantity. The seeds especially are used for this.
GYNAECOLOGY : It helps to prevent excessive uterine bleeding by clearing pitta from the arthavasrotas and uterus.
- Amalaki, Sariva, Triphala for hair problems from high pitta.
- Manjishta, Kutki, Neem, Pippali for hepatitis and liver conditions.
- Jatamansi, Brahmi and Shankhapushpi for mental disorders from high vata and pitta.
- Black Pepper for stimulating rasa and rakta-dhatu-agni and treating anemia
- Turmeric, Neem, Licorice for dermatological conditions due to high kapha and vata.
- Manjishta, Ashoka, Lotus node for bleeding conditions from high pitta.
Any signs of cold in the digestive system.
1g – 5g per day
1/2 to 1 teaspoon before breakfast mixed with warm water or honey
* A classic rejuvenative for preventing ageing and slowing signs of old age.
* Use externally and internally for alopecia and skin inflammations.
* It has different energetic classifications. In early texts its virya appears to be pungent, but in more modern texts it appears to be cooling. Its effect on protecting the liver, healing the skin, reducing bleeding and calming the mind certainly reflect a cooling